Clinical Sinner holds off wildcard Jodar to reach Madrid Open semis
World number one Jannik Sinner held off 19-year-old wildcard Rafael Jodar to win 6-2 7-6(0) in the Madrid Open quarter-finals on Wednesday, becoming the sixth player to reach the semi-finals of all nine ATP 1000 Masters tournaments, Reuters reported.
Sinner saved five break points in the second set and won 11 points in a row to secure victory over the Spaniard.
"He pushed me to the limit, he's an incredible player... I'm incredibly happy, it's been a very high quality match," Sinner said in his post-match interview.
Liverpool expect Salah return before end of season
Liverpool expect Mohamed Salah to return from injury before the end of the season after he was forced off against Crystal Palace on Saturday, BBC reported.
There were concerns that the 33-year-old forward may have played his last game for the club when he went off in the second half with a suspected hamstring issue.
It would have been a sad end for Salah, who announced last month that he would leave after a glittering nine-year spell at Anfield, in which he has scored 257 goals in 435 appearances.
Canadian government allocates $145 million for World Cup security
The Canadian government will allocate up to $145 million for security during the upcoming World Cup, Canada's public safety minister announced on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
Thirteen matches are set to take place in Toronto and Vancouver during the June 11-July 19 tournament, which Canada is hosting alongside the U.S. and Mexico.
"This funding will support provinces and municipalities in their efforts to ensure people remain safe while enjoying the tournament, and ensure law enforcement agencies have the resources they need to deliver a safe and well-managed event," Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree said at a news conference in Toronto.
Arteta left ‘incredibly fuming’ after VAR denies Arsenal penalty against Atlético
Mikel Arteta described himself as “incredibly fuming” after Arsenal were denied a penalty that might have given them a lead to take from the first leg of their Champions League semi-final against Atletico Madrid, The Guardian reported.
With the score at 1-1 in the 78th minute, the Dutch referee Danny Makkelie pointed to the spot after the Atlético defender David Hancko caught Eberechi Eze, who was on as a substitute for Arsenal, with a late tackle.
But to Arteta’s horror, Makkelie changed his mind after seeing what looked to be 12 or 13 replays of the incident on the pitchside monitor. The official appeared to decide that the contact was not strong enough.
Watchdog warns World Cup ticket prices increase risk of scams
Soaring ticket prices and transport costs at this year's World Cup will expose fans to cyber fraud and scams as supporters are attracted by fakes in the mistaken belief they have bagged a bargain, an industry expert has warned, Reuters reported.
Scam artists are active around every major global sporting event but there is an increased danger with World Cup tickets more expensive than at any previous edition, Nuno Sebastiao, the CEO and co-founder of Feedzai, told Reuters.
"Large gatherings like a World Cup are a scammer's dream," said Sebastiao, whose company works with banks around the world to detect and prevent fraud and other financial crime.
Cloudy weather across the country today
The country is under the influence of westerly and local winds, along with a low-pressure system in the lower atmosphere near the eastern region, resulting in cloudy conditions in most parts of the country, according to the Weather Forecasting Division of the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology.
Currently, light to moderate rain accompanied with thunder, lightning and windstorms is taking place in some places of Koshi, Bagmati, Gandaki, Lumbini and Karnali Provinces, and at a few places in Madhes and Sudurpaschim Provinces, the Department stated.
This afternoon, the weather will be generally to fully cloudy conditions across the country.
There is a possibility of light to moderate rain with thunder and lightning at some places in Koshi and Madhes Provinces as well as in the hilly and Himalayan regions of the country.
The weather will be generally cloudy in the Himalayan region of the country and partly cloudy in Tarai, the Department mentioned in its weather bulletin.
Demolition of 400 huts to begin on bank of Bagmati Irrigation Canal
The Bagmati Irrigation Project has announced that it would begin a campaign to demolish nearly 400 huts and other structures built illegally by encroaching upon the land of the project in Rautahat district.
The Project has already issued a public notice informing the residents there to clear the site on the bank of the irrigation canal.
The authorities are working to clear more than 400 structures, including huts, sheds and other properties with assistance from the Nepal Police, the Armed Police Force and other agencies.
It is said that the people there are living for 28 years by encroaching upon the land of the canal in wards. 5 and 6 in Chandrapur Municipality, Rautahat.
The Chief of Bagmati Irrigation Project Karmaiya, Santosh Chaudhary, said they are clearing the encroached land on the canal bank by force as the encroachers are not leaving the site.
Mayor of Chandrapur Municipality Sanjay Kumar Kafle, Chief District Officer of Rautahat Dinesh Sagar Bhusal and representatives of the security agencies would visit the area and the site will be cleared, Chaudhary shared.
Project Chief Chaudhary said, "The campaign to clear the illegally built structures and control new encroachment has begun".
Likewise, Member of the House of Representatives (HoR) of Rautahat 4, Ganesh Paudel said thatthe government took this decision for canal management and the expansion of irrigation facilities.
He said management of the Bagmati Irrigation Project was crucial since it is a national pride project.
Trump threatens to reduce troop numbers in Germany amid growing row with Nato allies
The US may reduce its number of troops deployed in Germany, Donald Trump has announced, days after the country’s chancellor said America was being “humiliated” by Iran, The Guardian reported.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, the US president said his administration was “studying and reviewing the possible reduction of troops in Germany, with a determination to be made over the next short period of time”.
On Monday, Friedrich Merz suggested the Trump team was being outplayed in its negotiations with Iran to secure an end to the ongoing war and a reopening of the strait of Hormuz.







