Indonesia’s Prabowo hails ‘new era’ in US ties after Trump trade deal
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto has welcomed a new trade agreement with US President Donald Trump, calling it the beginning of a “new era of mutual benefit.”
The deal, announced after a phone call between the leaders, reduces US tariffs on Indonesian goods from 32 percent to 19 percent. In return, Indonesia will purchase US energy, agricultural products, and Boeing aircraft, Al Jazeera reported.
Trump hailed the agreement as fair and beneficial for both countries, saying US exporters will face no tariffs. Prabowo’s office described the outcome as a major step forward in bilateral relations, with further details expected soon.
Trump says US gaining market access in India, credits tariffs
US President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the US is making real progress in opening up India’s markets, crediting his tariff policies for breaking long-standing trade barriers.
“We’re going to have access into India,” he said, linking the shift to his tougher trade stance, according to Firstpost.
While no formal deal has been announced, talks are underway in Washington with an Indian delegation led by top negotiator Rajesh Agrawal. Trump said a deal is close, though some issues remain — particularly around India’s agriculture and dairy sectors.
Unlike other major partners, India has not received a formal tariff warning, adding weight to hopes for an agreement soon, Firstpost reported.
UK secretly resettled Afghans after data leak
The UK has quietly relocated 4,500 Afghans after a major data breach exposed nearly 19,000 people at risk under Taliban rule. The leak, caused by a UK Ministry of Defence official mistakenly emailing a sensitive spreadsheet in 2022, revealed names and contact details, according to BBC.
The government learned of the breach in 2023 when some details surfaced on Facebook but kept it hidden under a court gag order—lifted only this week by a High Court judge.
In response, a secret scheme called the Afghan Relocation Route was set up, costing over £400m so far. While the scheme is now closing, relocation offers already made will still be honoured.
Defence Secretary John Healey apologised in Parliament, calling it a serious error. The people affected were only informed this week. Some 600 Afghan soldiers and 1,800 family members are still waiting in Afghanistan, BBC reported.
Jaishankar meets Xi ahead of SCO, emphasizes improving ties and border peace
S. Jaishankar, the Indian External Affairs Minister, met with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing on Monday ahead of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Foreign Ministers meeting. He conveyed greetings from Indian President Murmu and Prime Minister Modi, underlining India's commitment to improving relations while trying to settle lingering border concerns resulting from the 2020 Ladakh standoff, Firstpost reported.
In discussions with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, Jaishankar acknowledged the “good progress” made in easing tensions over the past nine months but emphasized the need for continued efforts to avoid disputes. He also called for removing trade barriers to enhance economic ties and urged a firm, shared stance on “zero tolerance” towards terrorism.
This visit marks Jaishankar’s first to China since the military clashes began, signaling a cautious but positive step toward better cooperation, according to Firstpost.


