North Korea dey tiff Crypto to fund Missile Programme - UN

North Korea cyber attacks don tiff millions of dollars in cryptocurrency to get money for di kontri missile programmes.

Dis na according to one United Nations report wey dem release give tori pipo.

Investigators find out say from 2020 to di middle of 2021, cyber-attackers bin tiff pass $50m of digital assets.

Dem say dis type of attacks na "important revenue source" for Pyongyang nuclear and ballistic missile programme.

Na on Friday dem bin give dis findings to di UN sanctions committee.

Di cyber attacks bin target at least three cryptocurrency exchanges from North America, Europe and Asia.

Di report bin also touch one study by Chainalysis wey tok say North Korea Cyber attacks fit don make dem reach $400m worth of digital assets last year.

And for 2019, di UN bin report say North Korea don gada about $2bn with cyber attacks so dem go fit pay for dia weapons of mass destruction programmes.

Di UN Security Council bin ban North Korea from nuclear testing and ballistic missile launch but di kontri don even boost di number of tests and launches dem dey do even with di severe sanctions.

Di US, on Friday tok say, North Korea, wey also be di Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), bin do nine missile tests last month alone.

Dis na as China and Russia refuse say dem no go join sign statement wey condemn di amount of missile launches North Korea dey do on Friday.

On Sunday, di US howeva say dia special representative for North Korea go meet wit Japanese and South Korean officials later in di week.

Dis UN report bin also hala say di humanitarian situation for North Korea don bad scata. Say e fit be sake of say di kontri bin close dia borders during di pandemic.

Di report say because of di lack of information for di hermit kingdom no fit let them no how e don bad reach.

Dahal proposes PM Deuba, Oli to hold discussions on MCC only after elections

CPN (Maoist Centre) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal has proposed to hold discussions on the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) only after the local level elections.

He made such proposal during a meeting held with Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba and main opposition CPN-UML Chairman KP Sharma in Baluwatar on Sunday.

During the meeting Maoist Centre Chairman Dahal said that it would be appropriate to hold discussions on the MCC only after the civic polls, UML General Secretary Shankar Pokharel told the journalists after the meeting.

Dahal said that the MCC should be tabled in the Parliament after the local level elections as they are just round the corner.

Saying that the MCC should be endorsed from the Parliament right away, Prime Minister Deuba urged Dahal and Oli to help ratifying the compact.

In response, Oli said that his party would clear its position on the MCC after the government  make public its views.

 

Minister Badu proposes Speaker Sapkota to table MCC in Parliament

Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Dilendra Prasad Badu and Speaker Agni Sapkota held a meeting at the Parliament Secretariat in New Baneshwor on Sunday.

During the meeting, Minister Badu proposed Speaker Sapkota to table the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) in the Parliament, Speaker Sapkota’s press advisor Shreedhar Neupane said.

Neuapne said that Minister Badu urged Speaker Sapkota to table the MCC in the Parliament meeting scheduled for February 9.

In response, Sapkota said that there is no conducive environment to table the MCC in the Parliament.

The MCC headquarters has given the government of Nepal a deadline of February 28 to endorse the MCC compact.

Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, CPN (Maoist Centre) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal and main opposition CPN-UML Chairman KP Sharma Oli held a meeting in Baluwatar today to discuss MCC among other contemporary political issues.

Russian forces at 70% of level needed for full Ukraine invasion, US officials say

Russia has in place about 70% of the combat power it believes it would need for a full-scale invasion of Ukraine and is sending more battalion tactical groups to the border with its neighbor, two US officials said on Saturday.

In the last two weeks, the number of battalion tactical groups in the border region has risen to 83 from 60 as of Friday and 14 more are in transit, the officials told Reuters on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the information.

As to the timing of an invasion, the ground is expected to reach peak freeze around Feb. 15, the officials said, allowing for off-road mechanized transit by Russian military units. Such conditions would continue until the end of March.

That timeline and the growing number and capability of Russian forces close to Ukraine could suggest the window for diplomacy is shutting.

The US officials did not provide evidence to back up their estimates of Russia's forces.

As Russia masses more than 100,000 troops near the border, it has said it is not planning an invasion but could take unspecified military action if its security demands are not met. Those include a promise that NATO will never admit Ukraine, a demand Washington and NATO have said is unacceptable.

Washington believes Russia may choose other options than a full-scale invasion, including a limited incursion, and does not believe President Vladimir Putin had made a final decision, the officials said.

But they said Putin is putting in place a force that can execute all scenarios.

If Russia were to invade the capital of Kyiv, it could fall within a couple of days, the US officials said.

A full-scale invasion would cause major casualties, one of the officials said.

Ukraine could suffer 5,000 to 25,000 troop casualties, while Russia's troop casualties could be between 3,000 and 10,000, and civilian casualties could range from 25,000 to 50,000, according to US estimates, the official said.

A full invasion would also prompt the flight of millions of refugees and internally displaced persons in Europe, Washington believes.