Trump and officials 'likely' targets of press dinner shooting suspect, authorities believe

US President Donald Trump and his officials were the "likely" targets of a suspected gunman who attempted to storm the White House Correspondents' Dinner, acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche has said, BBC reported. 

The suspect, named by US media as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen, was arrested after police said he opened fire near a security checkpoint during the event at a Washington DC hotel on Saturday.

Blanche, speaking to NBC News, said the alleged gunman's motive is still under investigation, but that "preliminary" findings suggest he was targeting administration officials.

Suspected gunman at Washington press dinner identified as 31-year-old Californian

The man arrested after shots were fired inside the hotel where the White House Correspondents' Dinner was being held on Saturday night has been named to the BBC's US news partner CBS by law enforcement sources as Cole Tomas Allen, BBC reported. 

The 31-year-old suspect is from Torrance in the Los Angeles region, California.

After he was detained by security agents inside the Washington Hilton hotel he told law enforcement officials he wanted to shoot officials in the Trump administration, two sources told CBS, according to BBC. 

7,642 tourists enter Nepal through Kakarbhitta border point last month

Nepal received altogether 7,642 tourists from third countries in the past nine months through the eastern border in Kakarbhitta, Jhapa.

Chief of the Immigration Office in Kakarbhitta, Tulsi Bhattarai, said that tourists from 81 countries across the world visited Nepal in the first nine months of the current fiscal year. 

The number of Bhutanese nationals coming to Nepal stood at the top of the ranking during the period followed by the USA, Thailand, Australia and the UK. The Immigration Office stated that a total of 4,154 tourists entered Nepal during the period. 

Chief of Office Bhattarai said that 1,612 Americans arrived in Nepal, 525 from Thailand, 229 from Australia and 182 from the UK entered Nepal through the eastern border point in Kakarbhitta.

He added that most of the tourists visiting Nepal shared that they would visit Lumbini, Pokhara, Kathmandu, Chitwan, Gorkha and other major tourist destinations in Nepal.

The Immigration Office shared that 9,942 tourists from third countries left Nepal from the same border point during the same period. 

Likewise, more than 3,000 Nepalis, who were in foreign countries for study and other purposes, arrived home through the Kakarbhitta point from different countries during the review period.

The officials shared that the number of tourists arriving in Nepal through the Kakarbhitta point has decreased compared to the figure of last year.

 

11 injured in Dhading micro bus accident

At least 11 persons were injured in a micro bus accident near Adamghat in Gajuri Rural Municipality-6, Dhading on Sunday.

The vehicle (Bagmati Pradesh 006 Kha 7221) was heading towards Pokhara from Kathmandu when the incident occurred.

The injured have been taken to a nearby health facility for treatment.

Further investigation into the incident is underway, said police. 

Gandak Canal encroachment demolition begins

The Narayani Irrigation Management Office has launched a campaign to demolish huts and other structures built illegally along the bank of the Gandak Canal.

The campaign began this morning and targets the stretch from Janaki Tole to Gandak Chowk. 

According to the Office, preparations are in place to demolish more than 300 structures, including huts, sheds and fish ponds. 

The demolition drive is being carried out with the assistance of the Nepal Police, the Armed Police Force and other agencies.

Office Chief Manoj Prasad Patel said they started clearing approximately 26 kilometers of encroached land on the canal bank. Four excavators have been mobilized to raze the structures.

Nepal and India had signed the Gandak Irrigation and Hydropower Project agreement on December 4, 1956. Under the agreement, the Government of India developed an irrigation system by constructing a barrage in the Narayani River. 

The project aims to provide irrigation facilities to both countries.

The Government of India later handed over the Gandak Canal to Nepal in 1975–76. 

The canal has a capacity of 850 cusecs of water, intended to irrigate 37,400 hectares of land in the southern parts of Parsa, Bara and Rautahat districts.

Canal water enters Nepal through Janaki Tole, located along the Nepal-India border. 

Within Nepal, the canal stretches a total of 81 kilometers and includes nine distribution facilities and 87 other supporting structures. 

Despite the agreement to irrigate 37,400 hectares of land, the currently irrigated area is only about 28,000 hectares, Patel said.

 

Removal of illegal structures begins in Butwal too

Authorities began removing huts built illegally in the public space of Butwal Sub-Metropolitan City-4 today. 

The structures set up at a public land belonging to High Court, Butwal are being flattened.

After disbanding the office of then Lumbini Zonal Officer, the land it occupied was transferred to the ownership of the High Court, Butwal. It is, however, occupied by huts running tea shops.

Butwal Sub-Metropolitan City said that the illegal dwellers were informed on Saturday evening to remove their chattels so that it would be easier to dismantle the huts.

Chair of ward no 4 in the Sub-Metropolis, Narishwar Sharma Paudel, however, said that the local government was investigating whether the offices of various organizations including Butwal Bar Association and Office of the Province Chief were also in the encroached land (plot nos 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, and 61). 

The area of the land is nearly 2 bigha and 5 kattha. 

Efforts were made to clear the public land 12 years back, but failed.

 

Rain disrupts Mid-Hill Highway

Rainfall on Saturday evening disrupted traffic along the Mid-Hill Highway in Rukum Purba. 

According to Chief Assistant Sub-Inspector at Traffic Police Office in the district, Bir Bahadur Thapa, auxiliary routes connected to the highway were also obstructed. Mudflows were reported in areas including Dhaulapahira, Kandabagar, Kimukot, Suntalabari, Saipatung, Kankri and Sita, while landslides affected two locations in Muru.

The Daunne route has also been blocked following the landslides. 

Efforts are underway to clear the debris using an excavator provided by Bhume Rural Municipality. Authorities have urged the public to avoid traveling along these routes unless absolutely necessary.

Meanwhile, power supply in Rukum Purba has been cut off since around 6 pm on Saturday. 

The rain, accompanied by hailstones, has also caused damage to wheat crops.

 

Evicted families receive food support, said not enough

The government cleared squatter settlements from Thapathali, Gairigaun, Sinamangal, and other parts of Kathmandu, with removals in Manohara going on. 

Displaced families were screened and relocated to temporary shelters in Radhaswami Satsang,  Kirtipur, the Electricity Training Center in Kharipati, Bhaktapur, and the Agricultural Development Bank Training Centre, Lalitpur. 

Authorities recorded personal details and provided packet foods, tea, and biscuits on Saturday evening and on Sunday morning though some complained about the food being insufficient.