EC intensifies seeking clarifications from election code of conduct violators

The Election Commission (EC) has sought clarifications from the political parties, candidates, government officials and non-government organizations for allegedly breaching the Election Code of Conduct, 2082 BS. 

Assistant Spokesperson of the EC Sita Pun said that the commission had sought clarification from the candidate of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) from Kathmandu District Constituency-4 Dr Surendra Bhandari and from Chief Minister of Koshi Province Hikmat Kumar Karki on January 21. 

Though both were asked to submit responses within three days through correspondence, no reply has been received so far, she stated. 

Bhandari was asked for clarification under Section 4(c) of the Election Code of Conduct, 2082. 

According to this section, it is prohibited to conduct or place election campaign in a way that offends the feelings of senior citizens, women, sexual and gender minorities, and persons with disabilities, or assassinates their character. 

Similarly, Chief Minister Karki of Koshi Province was asked for clarification under Section 5(A) of the Election Code of Conduct, 2082.

The article states the election code of conduct must be abided by the Government of Nepal, provincial governments, ministers and local government authorities and their officials. 

The conduct states that no one should engage in or promote propaganda for and against any political party or candidate. 

On January 22, a letter was sent to candidate of the Rastriya Swatantra Party Jagdish Kharel, requesting him to submit a clear response within three days in accordance with the code of conduct. 

According to the EC's assistant spokesperson, only Kharel has submitted his explanation among eight candidates who were asked for clarification so far. 

Likewise, on the same day, the commission asked the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) for a clear response within two days regarding the organization of the ANFA General Assembly. 

A response to that end has also not been received. 

The Election Commission had also corresponded with the Nepali Communist Party candidate of Jajarkot, Shakti Bahadur Basnet, asking him to submit a clear response within three days. 

Basnet has also not submitted clarification till now. 

The Minister of Industry, Agriculture and Cooperatives of Koshi Province, Israel Mansuri, also corresponded, asking him to submit a clear response within three days. 

The EC had also sought clarification from RSP's candidate from Okhaldhunga-1 Bishwo Raj Pokharel. 

He has also not yet submitted the response, the EC said. 

 

Printing of ballot papers for PR electoral system completes

Printing of ballot papers for the Proportional Representation (PR) system under the House of Representatives elections scheduled for March 5 has been completed. 

Managing Director at the Janak Education Materials Center, Yadunath Paudel said that the task of printing a total 20, 850, 000 ballot papers for proportional representation has been completed today. 

He also informed that the Center will start printing ballot papers for the first-past-the-post electoral system from today itself.

 

Officiating CEC Bhandari urges media to rely on official sources

Officiating Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Ram Prasad Bhandari has urged the media to disseminate election-related news and information based on official sources in view of the upcoming House of Representatives elections.

Addressing an orientation on the “Code of Conduct for the Election to the House of Representatives-2082 BS” organized by Public Service Broadcasting Nepal (PSB) here today, he advised media houses to refrain from disseminating false or misleading content during the election period.

He said citizens need fact-based and credible information during elections, and the media bears the responsibility of fulfilling this need. 

Bhandari also stressed the need for a strict implementation of the election code of conduct by the media houses as well.

Expressing concern over the spread of AI-assisted and manipulated content on digital platforms that could harm individuals’ reputations, Bhandari said the Election Commission (EC) was signing agreements with social media platforms such as Meta and TikTok to manage such issues.

EC Secretary Krishna Bahadur Raut said it is the responsibility of the media to encourage the implementation of the election code of conduct. He particularly urged State-run media to play a more responsible role in disseminating official and credible news to the public.

Likewise, Secretary at the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Laxmi Kumari Basnet, wanted the media to demonstrate their effective role in providing credible information to the citizens to help ensure a successful election.

PSB Chair Dr Mahendra Bista said journalists should adhere to both the election code of conduct, and the journalistic code of conduct during the elections. “Self-censorship is needed in this regard,” he said, calling for the practice of independent journalism.

 

 

HoR elections: 12 former ministers in fray in Sudurpaschim Province

Twelve former ministers are in the race for the elections to the House of Representatives scheduled for March 5 in Sudurpaschim Province.

Major political parties have fielded the former ministers as the candidates in the province which have 16 constituencies. 

Twelve candidates of the Nepali Congress (NC), CPN-UML and Nepali Communist Party (NCP), who already served as ministers in federal and provincial governments, are contesting the elections.

NC picked Narayan Prasad Saud as the candidate in Kanchanpur constituency-2. Saud was the federal minister for multiple times. Except Saud, all candidates from the NC in Sudurpaschim are new, said NC Sudurpaschim Province Joint General-Secretary, Chinta Mani Bhatta.  

Similarly, former Deputy Prime Minister and leader of the NCP, Bhim Bahadur Rawal, is in the race from Achham constituency-1. 

Similarly, former federal ministers Prem Ale and Bina Magar are the candidates from the same party in Kailali constituency-5 and Kanchanpur constituency-1 respectively. 

Trilochan Bhatta, also the former Chief Minister of Sudurpaschim Province government, filed his candidacy from Doti, while former minister Prakash Bahadur Shah from Bajura and former minister in province Man Bahadur Rai from Kanchanpur constituency-3. 

Likewise, UML candidate from Darchula, Ganesh Singh Thagunna from Baitadi, Damodar Bhandari, are also the former federal ministers.   

Former Minister and UML's Deputy General Secretary Lekh Raj Bhatta, former federal minister Gauri Shankar Chaudhary are competing from Kailali constituency-4 and Kailali constituency-3 respectively.

Jhapat Bahadur Bohara, who has filed his candidacy from Achham constituency-1, is former minister in Sudurpaschim Province.

It is estimated that there would be a tough competition among the candidates of the NC, UML, NCP and Rastriya Swatantra Party in Sudurpaschim Province. 

The Province has a total 1.71 million voters and 206 candidates for 16 constituencies, according to the Province Election Office, Dhangadhi.